The Akaroa Gallery began its life in historic Akaroa in 1911—as the building which housed the hydro-electric power equipment. In 1970 local resident, Patricia Bosshard established a gallery and concert venue in the empty building. She organised concerts (and a film society there as well) from 1970. In 1977, an incorporated society took over the running of the Powerhouse as a gallery and concert venue. The newly refurbished 'Orion Powerhouse Gallery' comes to life in the warmer months when Akaroa is full of visitors and holiday-makers. The gallery hosts exhibitions featuring artists from Banks Peninsula and beyond, many of national and international recognition. It also provides a wonderful venue for intimate musical events and varied workshops throughout the year.